Even though I didn't see many of you with tears in you eyes during our discussion of The Scarlet Letter, I hope those of you that read the entire book at least gained some new ideals about forgiveness and sin. For this response I want you to delve in to your personal feelings about this book and how you feel about the themes that were presented. You can argue for or against any of these ideas. Do you think this perspective of sin and repentance is right or wrong? This is your chance to be an "expert" on this book.
I want to thank you for you blog responses last week. Everyone turned in very good work. The blogger award for last week goes to Bryson. What is this Mr. H? It's new. I realized I need to respond more to your responses. My last question on that blog was a little ambiguous. I wanted each of you to think about the purpose of staying connected to what is happening in the world around you. Unfortunately, many people don't realize this till much later in their life. Some blame it on adolescence, but I feel that each of you is capable of going beyond yourselves and caring for those around you.
Remember to follow the rubric.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Even though I did not find the film of The Scarlet Letter to be touching or emotionally-provoking in any way, the last few chapters, namely even the last few pages, brought forth many new thoughts and ideas about sin in my mind.
ReplyDeleteIn The Scarlet Letter, numerous themes and ideals are presented by Hawthorne to the reader. According to Dictionary.com, a theme is defined as, “A central idea in a piece of writing or other work of art.” In literature, there is often one main theme and several possible sub-themes that the author leaves to the reader to reflect upon. One sub-theme in this book is that of purity. If Hester Prynne had remained pure in her bond of matrimony with Roger Chillingworth, Pearl and the scarlet letter would have never become an issue. The novel states, “A pure hand needs no glove to cover it." By this Hawthorne means that if you stay pure in your known boundaries, then you will never have to hide an impurity. Another one of the smaller themes in this novel is the relationship between society and personal identity. I believe that this theme is most mirrored through the character of Reverend Dimmesdale. Being a reverend, Dimmesdale had a high moral tone that he was expected to live up to. Even when he attempted to vent his emotions into one of his sermons, the congregation spoke of how humble and pure Dimmesdale was. Perhaps, if he had not been a church official, Dimmesdale may have confessed at an earlier time. Hawthorne writes, “No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.” I feel that in society, we can sometimes, even by accident, conform to how society wants to us to be, instead of maintaining our own identities. The largest of all, what I believe to be the major theme of this novel, is the principle of lying. Many lies take place within this book. The two main lies that I notice is Dimmesdale not confessing his sin and Chillingworth not revealing his true identity to Dimmesdale. “In our nature, however, there is a provision, alike marvelous and merciful, that the sufferer should never know the intensity of what he endures by its present torture, but chiefly by the pang that rankles after it.” Although Hawthorne sets this novel in Salem, Massachusetts in a Puritan time, I think that this theme is something that will be applicable to mankind until the end of time.
Of the themes presented to me in The Scarlet Letter, I cannot disagree with any of them. However, most of the themes would be very hard to make 100% perfect and realistic in our world today.
This perspective of sin and repentance portrayed to the reader is both right and wrong. Like previously stated, because it was written it was written for people of a different time, not everything can apply to the world today in the same exact ways. Hester and Dimmesdale had both committed a terrible sin, but I believe that Hester’s repentance was right and the repentance of Dimmesdale was closer to wrong. Although it is good that Dimmesdale still confessed before he died, he should have confessed when Hester had so that she may have not suffered as much as she had. I definitely think that Hester handled the situation better than Dimmesdale did, but that may because Dimmesdale had a position in the church, whereas Hester had little morals to fall upon.
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading, The Scarlet Letter and the novel itself has left me with many new and insightful thoughts about the different ideas and perspective of sin and repentance and how I can apply them to my own life. One quote from the novel that stuck out to me, I believe, can sum up the biggest theme of all in this novel in just a few sentences. It states, “One token of (her) shame would but poorly serve to hide another.”
Kristina Kiser
Three main themes of Scarlet Letter include lies, purity, and hypocrisy.
ReplyDeleteHawthorne relates to his readers that it is better to tell the truth than to lie, even if death is a consequence. Hawthorne says, "a lie is never good, even though death threaten on the other side!" The bible says, “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.” (Exodus 20:16) Although this can be taken literally as a man should not testify in court falsely against his neighbor, it means in a more general sense that man should not lie and should always operate in honesty.
Another theme of the book is purity. Hawthowne contrasts the impurity of Hester Prynne with the other women when he describes how sought after her needlework is, yet no bride will wear a veil made by Hester to cover her "pure blushes." Hawthorne compares these women by making a statement that implies that the pure brides look down upon her and almost scorn her.
The final and most important theme I will discuss is hypocrisy. Although the minister appears to be pure and holy to all of his peers, he is in a position in which he cannot admit the truth or he will lose the respect of his peers. Thus his lies have created more lies which he must tell. In telling these lies he is a huge hypocrite and his hypocrisy eventually destroys him.
This representation of sin and repentance is a good example because he does finally confess his sins and stops living a life of lies and hypocrisy.
Gabe Espinoza
Before I even begin to discuss the themes of this book and whether or not I agree with them, I’d like to discuss the feelings I had for this book. Now, I’m not sure whether I would have liked it more or not I had read it on my own time but reading it as an assignment made me enjoy it less. Reading something for an assignment can make one rush through the book and not stop to “smell the roses.” On the whole, though, I thought it was a worthwhile book, but not one that I will ever read again. It was too wordy for my taste, but I thought the story was good. I heard someone tell me that one of the reasons that Hawthorn was so wordy was because he published his book piece at a time in the newspaper, and the newspaper paid by the word. Whether this is true or not is up for speculation, but I’d like to believe it. Now, I’ll dig into the themes of the book and see what I turn up.
ReplyDeleteI think there are some pretty obvious themes in this book, as well as some not so obvious themes. Hawthorn tells his reader (by way of theme) to not sin. Some major sins he hits on include revenge, adultery; and lying, for to “Lie is never good, even though death threaten on the other side!” Every single one of these sins brought about suffering and mostly ended in death. The minister committed adultery, lied about it for seven years and finally after being stressed mentally and physically for so long, died. Chillingworth enacted his revenge for seven years and turned himself into a fiend. When the object of his vengeful attentions passed away, “All his vital and intellectual force – seemed at once to desert him; insomuch that he positively withered up, shriveled away, and almost vanished from mortal sight, like an uprooted weed that lies wilting in the sun.” When Hester decided to commit adultery, she was forced to live in ignominy for a long time (that is, until the scarlet letter was seen as a mark of kindness and servitude). The leaders of the colony “Doomed Mistress Prynne to…, for the remainder of her natural life, wear a mark of shame upon her bosom [they also made her stand on the scaffold for three hours but I didn’t list it here because I found it less impacting]” due to her sinful act of adultery. Also, she lied to the minister (or, rather, with held information) by not telling him who Chillingworth was earlier. This probably, ultimately, led to the death of the minister.
After some thought I came up with some themes for the book that are less apparent, probably unintentional, and bordering on absurdity. I think one these themes might have something to do with the raising of a child. I think that Pearl was not an evil, demented, or even surly child. She was just raised in tough times. I think her surroundings might have had a profound affect on the development of her mind and actions. Hawthorne is telling his readers to not only be careful in how one raises a child, but where one raises one’s child. If Hester had moved elsewhere, she would’ve been accepted into society and Pearl would have had friends and might’ve been much different. I think Hawthorne also tells his readers that to earn the trust of anyone, you must either trick them or prove yourself. Chillingworth temporarily earns the minister’s trust by tricking him, but is ultimately found out. Dimmesdale earns Pearl’s trust and respect by finally owning up to his crime in front of all of the inhabitants of Boston. Other themes are present in this book but I think I’ll stop with the ones I have developed.
to be continued...
My post continued...
ReplyDeleteI think that this book also expressed some interesting ideas about sin and repentance. From what I gathered by reading this book, sin was not only frowned upon but heavily punished, and repentance was brought about by this punishment. Only by suffering could one bring himself into repentance and be saved from the fires of hell. I think that this idea that one has to suffer for himself to become saved contradicts the bible. In the bible we learn that Jesus suffered and died to save us from our sins. We shouldn’t have to suffer in our repentance, in fact, just the opposite. Repentance should be a joyous thing and although it can be tough sometimes, it shouldn’t cause suffering (unless the suffering is inflicted by an outside source). The contradictory repentance that I’m referring to is caused by Dimmesdale. He takes it upon himself, night and day, to beat the sin out and try to bring himself closer to God. Jesus brings us closer to God, not any act on our behalf. Well, that’s my opinion on such matters.
Good Night
To be quite honest, I did not put as much time and effort into really digging down to the utmost core of this book in search for themes and such as I should now have liked. Now that we have been discussing the themes that are very evident through out the book as a class, I have begin to really see The Scarlet Letter through the eyes the author intended me to look through. This book has such a simple, yet complex plot line, and the depth it contains is powerful. One tends to get lost in the miles and miles of endless words Hawthorne uses to get a single point across. That man sure liked to ramble. I guess he was born a rambling man...but anyways, Hawthorne,despite his strenuous word bank,truly had a gift for symbolization. My favorite part of literature is dissecting the characters and objects to find possible symbols for a greater power,and Hawthorne is my hero in that aspect. And now after that lengthy introduction, I shall get down to work and share my personal feed back on The Scarlet Letter in all its themes and concepts.
ReplyDeleteThe theme that really stands out to me as being rather frustrating is that of forgiveness. As tiny tots in sunday school,we are taught that Jesus loves us so much that He died on the cross for our sins in order that we could have everlasting life. We also learn that when we repent with a humble and contrite heart to our heavenly father, we are granted undeserved grace and forgiveness. Our sins are forgotten in the eyes of our loving God. If only Dimmesdale and Hester believed this. From what I have gathered from Hester and Dimmesdale, they thought their sins were beyond redeeming. Hester lived her life with a daily reminder of what she had done. Everywhere she went,and every moment she spent with her love child was an agonizing torture that kept her from living life in peace. Dimmesdale, a leader in the church, let his guilt devour him,body and soul. Instead of repenting and pleading for God's forgiveness,and the forgiveness of the congregation of believers who looked up to him as a man of God,he kept his sin stored up in the darkest corners of his heart and mind. Hester and Dimmesdale could have had a new start both in their physical and spiritual lives, but they chose to try and reconcile their sins on their own instead of releasing it into the capable hands of God.
Another theme that irks me is the fact that Hester believed she could purge herself of the sin of which she reeked. She truly believed that if she lived out her life with the mark of shame upon her breast, she could tie herself to the whipping post so to speak. She saw her own child as merely an object sent from either Satan or God to remind her of the sin she committed by breaking her marriage vows,and being with another man. Hester always had a choice: she could have forgiven herself of what she had done and disposed of the scarlet sin she carried with her in her heart at any moment, and yet she chose to wallow in her shame and self-pity. In the very last chapter of the book, Hester returns to once again carry her cross of shame. "Here had been her sin;here,her sorrow; and here was yet to be her penitence. She had returned,therefore,and resumed….resumed the symbol of which we are related so dark a tale….But,in the lapse of the toilsome,thoughtful,and self-devoted years that made up Hester's life,the scarlet letter ceased to be a stigma which attracted the world's scorn and bitterness, and became something to be sorrowed over,and look upon with awe,yet with reverence,too." This excerpt goes on to tell how Hester spent the remainder of her life counseling women who brought her their trials and tribulations on a silver platter. It is as though Hester believed that by performing acts of kindness and charity,she could redeem herself. Good works don't gain you a place in heaven,and it is sad that Hester believed this would earn her purity back. I am sure this isn't the only reason why Hester wanted to help,but I think It played a large part.
~Megan~
(My response Continued because apparently this blog thinks I talk to much)
ReplyDeleteChillingworth had a twisted philosophy as well. He thought he could play God and punish Dimmesdale for the crime he had committed against him. Just as a leech used by doctors to cleanse the impure blood that flowed in a sick patient, Chillingworth thought he could suck a confession out of Dimmesdale. Who was Chillingworth to rain judgement upon Dimmesdale? Only God can truly sentence judgement and reproof on a sinner. I believe Chillingworth's jealousy and desire for revenge led him to leave the leeches on for too long--allowing them to drain Dimmesdale of all his strength and will to forgive himself instead of really trying to help him heal. Forgive and forget is a healthy does of all the characters could have used in The Scarlet Letter.
Overall, I do not agree with the majority of the themes discussed in this book., but I really did enjoy reading this novel as a whole. I felt it opened my eyes to what my life would be without the forgiveness of Christ and the ultimate gift of grace. Without forgiveness, I would be condemned to a life of eternal damnation and covered in blood-sucking leeches--drained of all that is good and joyful in my life. Without unfailing love, what would there be to live for? How I pity Dimmesdale,Hester,and Chillingworth for not possessing the assurance of forgiveness when I stumble on my daily spiritual walk. I know that no matter how horrible the sin I may commit, God will release me from my guilt and shame. I have a future and a hope under His wings,a comfort the characters in The Scarlet Letter never knew.
~Megan~
Q:Even though I didn't see many of you with tears in you eyes during our discussion of The Scarlet Letter, I hope those of you that read the entire book at least gained some new ideals about forgiveness and sin. For this response I want you to delve in to your personal feelings about this book and how you feel about the themes that were presented. You can argue for or against any of these ideas. Do you think this perspective of sin and repentance is right or wrong? This is your chance to be an "expert" on this book.
ReplyDeleteA: The Scarlet Letter was a very action packed and detailed book. Overall I enjoyed this book ,but, what made it less enjoyable was the fact that it was rushed through so quickly in and out of class. I think I would understood more if there was more time in and out of class to read and understand Hawthorne's "Moral Blossom" message. I will probably never read this book again, but, I did learn positive lessons from it.
In the Scarlet Letter, there are many good themes and messages I could discuss. One theme that really got me thinking was the hiding your troubles theme. In puritan New England, people never talked about there sins. If someone came out in the open with their sins, then the people would ridicule that person for whatever sin they have. This ideal of hiding your sin can be very problematic. When Reverend Dimmesdale hid the fact that he had committed adultery with Hester Prynne, the turmoil and pressure only grew inside himself until he exploded. Years after he had committed his sin, he finally told everyone in Boston in a very dramatic fashion. In the end he died in Hester's arms. This is all very sad and it could have been prevented. The preacher felt he had no one to go to because everyone was very, "hush hush" and judgmental about sin. People would talk about the minister and wonder why the minister would hold his heart constantly, but, they never cared to ask him if he was alright.
It is wrong to let a person like Dimmesdale feel lost and judged until the point of death. People, especially people in the church, need to help others when they have an inward struggle with shame and sin. I think that the "Holy" Dimmesdale was right and brave to tell all the people of his sin. What I think is wrong is that no one helped Dimmesdale deal with his sin and shame before he died.
-Drew Martinez-
I enjoyed The Scarlet Letter very much. I felt that it accurately portrayed the Puritan culture, and its nature of condescension. This book also conveyed the tendency of human nature to forgive. I found this quote to be especially enlightening: "It is to the credit of human nature, that, except where its selfishness is brought into play, it loves more readily than it hates. Hatred, by a gradual and quiet process, will even be transformed to love, unless the change be impeded by a continually new irritation of the original feeling of hostility." I think this statement is true, and I'm glad, because forgiveness is a quality that more people in this world should have. I find myself unforgiving at times, but then I remember that Christ forgave all of the sin in the world, so what am I thinking?
ReplyDeleteThis book also presented a theme of sin. After cheating on her husband with Dimmesdale, Hester then lets Chillingworth constantly torture her lover constantly, without telling him about it. She then quotes, "But a lie is never good, even though death threaten on the other side!" This book contains much that one can learn about sinning, and the consequences of this said sin. One major consequence that the characters in The Scarlet Letter had to undergo was massive guilt over their sins. Guilt alone can tear someone apart.
I look upon this book's perspective of sin and repentance much like Jonathan. I also believe that we are all sinners, and no sin is greater than another. Therefore, Hester should not have been ridiculed, and after she had repented, she should have been forgiven. Repentance, as Jonathan put it, "should be a joyous thing."
A severe headache is encroaching on my ability to think, so I must dub this the end.
-Katie May
Question: For this response I want you to delve in to your personal feelings about this book and how you feel about the themes that were presented. You can argue for or against any of these ideas. Do you think this perspective of sin and repentance is right or wrong?
ReplyDeleteAnswer:
The Scarlet Letter embodies many themes of the Puritan way of life and religion. It also exemplifies the moral standards of our world today. In class, we talked about themes that are in The Scarlet Letter. Some of my favorites were the themes of forgiveness, love/hatred, and lying. Almost all of the characters in The Scarlet Letter struggle with forgiveness. The people of Boston struggle to forgive Hester for years and years and even after she died, the people did not even mark her grave with the traditional name of the beloved one. "Yet one tombstone served for both....on this simple slab of slate...there appeared the semblance of an engraved escutcheon." Hester Prynne also struggled with forgiveness. She had committed adultery and went about her entire life never actually forgiving herself. She believed that if she suffered through her pain, she would be cleansed of her sin and COULD REDEEM HERSELF, BY HERSELF, and earn her Inheritance back. Personally, I do not believe that one can loose their salvation because that would completely go against who God is and his entire being. The character that suffered the most due to lack of forgiveness I believe was Dimmesdale. Dimmesdale beat himself up everyday for seven years because of his sin. I think that Dimmesdale was a little bit of a coward. Like in The Shack, when Papa [God] is talking to Mackenzie about forgiveness he says, "There is power in what my children declare." If Dimmesdale would have just confessed what he had taken a part in, he would have been freed from his afflictions that he was trying to so hard to keep hidden. Sure, he would have been persecuted because of the choices that he made, but therein lies the problem. HE MADE THEM. He could have chosen to stop his relationship with Hester before it got out of hand, but he did not. Therefore, he should have been more of a man and stepped up and taken his share of the blame and stopped hiding behind excuses. Chillingworth was also another character that let the lack of forgiveness eat him up. He was so bent of achieving the ultimate revenge on Dimmesdale that he lost himself in his anger and hate.
...
"Hatred, by a gradual and quiet process, will even be transformed to love, unless the change be impeded by a continually new irritation of the original feeling of hostility." This is my favorite of my favorite themes. Hawthorne tells of how mankind can love in this one sentence. Our race may have a war every generation and may have turned for gentlemen and ladies to disrespectful punks, but our ability to love has not swayed. It is a beautiful thing that even in hate, we will soon love. Man is capable of hate. Just not forever.
ReplyDeleteLying is another of my favorite themes in this novel. Hawthorne expertly shows that no matter what you say or what you do NOT say, it can be just as destructive as yelling it at someone's face. Hester lies to Dimmesdale in silence by letting him believe that she had no idea who Chillingworth was when in fact she knew a great deal about him. "That old man!--the physician!--he whom they call Roger Chillingworth!--he was my husband!" Once Dimmesdale hears this news, he immediately threw the blame at another, Hester, for how he was feeling; such is the nature of mankind. "Woman, woman, thou art accountable for this! I cannot forgive thee!"
Reading The Scarlet Letter opened my eyes to principles I had not thought of before. I enjoyed it immensely, but felt rushed and therefore did not get to smell or taste the sweet moral blossom as deeply as I wished. I really enjoy hearing Mrs. Gilbreth's thoughts on things such as the themes because she sees things with her third eye that I had missed. It's really cool to see how much passion and joy she gets out of teaching. It makes me delve deeper into whatever the subject we are studying. I also loved Hawthorn's wordy descriptions in his book. I love figuring things out and discovering how they work, so reading The Scarlet Letter was like deciphering a code that enriched my mind and heart. I loved this book and will probably read it again.
mallory jean
The Scarlet Letter, though wordy and redundant at times, is jam-packed with vital themes pertinent to live even today. Hawthorne’s writing contains countless spiritual allusions and deals heavily with the concept of sin and redemption. Two prominent themes within the book are of earning one’s own redemption and the Romantic view of comfort found in Nature.
ReplyDeleteOne theme hidden within the folds of Hawthorne’s superfluous words is the idea of earning one’s redemption. Strong Puritan concept or not, Hester Prynne fervently embraced it. Hester was convinced that her suffering and punishment should take place in the same city in which her sin was committed. She believed that by subjecting herself to intense repugnance and scorn she could somehow purify her spirit. “Here (Boston), she said to herself, had been the scene of her guilt, and here should be the scene of her earthly punishment; and so, perchance, the torture of her daily shame would at length purge her soul, and work out another purity than that which she had lost; more saint-like, because the result of martyrdom” (74). She stayed true to her belief in earning her purity and lived the majority of the remainder of her life in Boston. Though she left for a period subsequent to Dimmesdale’s and Chillingworth’s deaths, she returned to face her punishment for her last years on earth. “Here had been her sin; here, her sorrow; and here was yet to be her penitence. She had returned, therefore, and resumed. . .the symbol of which we have related so dark a tale” (238). She once again adorned her dress with the letter that had caused her so much strife and infamy in order to live out her life sentence. No one commanded her to remain in Boston; she did it on her own accord. Hester illustrated the Puritan belief of the acquisition of purity through self-inflicted punishment.
Though Hester believed that she might have been able to earn her redemption through by her own power, I am not convinced. I believe that all decisions, particularly a decision as imperative as one’s redemption, are made by God. He is the one who forgives; He is the one who punishes; and, accordingly, He is the one who purifies. To believe that one can renew his purity through self-inflicted suffering is idealistic. The only act that can gain a person his redemption is repentance.
Another present theme in Hawthorne’s writing is the Romantic view of comfort found in Nature. Hester, Dimmesdale, and Pearl all display absolute comfort while in the presence of Nature. Much of the book describes the somber personalities of the characters, save the ever-lively Pearl, oppressed by society and civilization. However, when the three characters enter the forest, their demeanors take on a different persona. Hester’s and Dimmesdale’s pure joy at being in the forest together is reflected by Nature itself. When Hester elatedly removed the scarlet letter and cap, “The objects that had made a shadow hitherto, embodied the brightness” (186). In fact, Hester and Dimmesdale were so content in the forest, “Had the forest still kept its gloom, it would have been bright in Hester’s eyes, and bright in Dimmesdale’s!” (186). Pearl also felt at home with Nature. “The great black forest—stern as it showed itself to those who brought the guilt and troubles of the world into its bosom—became the playmate of the lonely infant, as well as it knew how. Sombre as it was, it put on the kindest of its moods to welcome her” (187). While her true spirit was often oppressed in the city, Nature freed her gentle essence: “. . .she was gentler here than in the grassy-margined streets of the settlement, or in her mother’s cottage” (188). Romanticism had a strong presence in The Scarlet Letter, as verified through the comfort Hester, Dimmesdale, and Pearl found in Nature.
While several themes can be withdrawn from Hawthorne’s writing, the most palpable to me are the concept of earning one’s own purity and the Romantic concept of comfort found in Nature.
Gillian Chant
The Scarlet Letter is a classic book that has been read in classes throughout the states for generations. I can easily understand how this book became a classic. Nathaniel Hawthorne’s attention to detail and his captivating words effortlessly hook a reader in. His language is filled with symbolism and his themes are applicable to any generation. Every word Hawthorne writes has meaning behind it, and his words often contain more than one meaning. Because of Hawthorne’s attention to detail, it is sometimes hard to understand exactly what Hawthorne is trying to say. Of course, I’m sure Hawthorne wrote it in this way on purpose. Nathaniel Hawthorne wants the reader to be able to take multiple things from this book. He writes with an ambiguous tone in order to let the reader form his or her own opinion on the events happening in The Scarlet Letter. In order to read this book, one should be willing to interpret his meanings and should be ready to slow down. I think this is the only way to truly understand The Scarlet Letter.
ReplyDeleteSadly, I do not think I enjoyed this book as much as I could have. As I mentioned earlier, The Scarlet Letter is a book that should be read slowly and thoroughly. It was difficult for me to truly understand the events and symbols in The Scarlet Letter because I was so focused on getting through the book. If I had read it on my own, I think I would have gotten more involved in the book itself. Thankfully, I have ultimately come to understand the book and the themes and symbols in it.
Hawthorne mainly wrote The Scarlet Letter to discuss a story that he felt was very close to him. In the first chapter, The Custom House, Hawthorne says, “‘A writer of story-books! What kind of a business in life,—what mode of glorifying God, or being serviceable to mankind in his day and generation,—may that be? Why, the degenerate fellow might as well have been a fiddler!’ Such are the compliments bandied between my great-grandsires and myself, across the gulf of time! And yet, let them scorn me as they will, strong traits of their nature have intertwined themselves with mine.” Hawthorne wrote The Scarlet Letter because he wants to give a different approach to events that most would look upon with distain. The shame in Hawthorne’s family causes him to feel closer to the characters in the book. The Scarlet Letter portrays the feelings that he is experiencing inside.
The theme that stands out the most to me is forgiveness. The entire book is focused on forgiveness and how to achieve it. Upon hearing of Chillingworth’s revenge on Dimmesdale, Hester begs Chillingworth to forgive Dimmesdale for the sins he has committed. “Forgive, and leave his further retribution to the Power that claims it!” Hester knows that in the end, it is God who makes the final judgment. Chillingworth rejects her advice, and continues to make Dimmesdale’s life as miserable as possible. Had Chillingworth forgiven Dimmesdale, he might have been able to move on with his life and be happy. Instead, he gave his heart to the devil and poured his soul into revenge. When Dimmesdale learns of the physicians actions, he begins to blame Hester. He cries to her “Woman, woman, thou art accountable for this! I cannot forgive thee!” Hester knows that the pastor must forgive her, so she tells him to “Let God punish! Thou shalt forgive!” Dimmesdale realizes that he has already forgiven her, and he tells her that there is one whose sin is worse than theirs. When one is hurt, it is often hard to forgive the one who hurt you. Hawthorne tries to show the reader that forgiveness is necessary because if you don’t forgive you will be hurt even more in the end.
........
......
ReplyDeleteAnother theme presented is that lying will only end with disaster. Hester and Dimmesdale live a lie for most of their lives because they are afraid to face the consequences of the truth. Hester refuses to tell people that Dimmesdale is the father of Pearl because she does not want him to have to experience the shame that she is put through daily. Because of this, Dimmesdale is slowly being weighed down by his guilt. Dimmesdale tries to tell his congregation of his sins, but they only believe that he is being humble. Hester also has kept secrets from the pastor. Chillingworth asks Hester to keep his identity a secret, so that he will not be shamed. Hester feels guilty for this, and eventually gets the courage to tell Dimmesdale. When Hester meets Dimmesdale in the forest, she tells him “But a lie is never good, even though death threaten on the other side!...he whom they call Roger Chillingworth!—he was my husband!” The lies eventually kill Dimmesdale and causes Hester to live a life of solitude. Hester realizes a little too late that lying can never lead to anything good.
Hester and Dimmesdale also believe that if they suffer enough, it will lead to forgiveness. Hester suffers daily with the hope that she will be able to be with God on judgment day. I understand this view of repentance, but I am not sure that I agree with it. Their view of repentance is not wrong because everyone deals with sin and repentance differently. But, I do not think it is right either. Jesus died for us to save us, and he always forgive us if we ask. In Acts 10:43, it says “All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.” As believers in Christ, we are automatically forgiven if we ask sincerely. I do not think Hester and Dimmesdale should have taken repentance to the extreme that they did. I think they should have told the truth from the start, asked for forgiveness, and then try to move on with their life. Hester refused to have a happy life until Dimmesdale and her planned to run away. But by then, it was too late. Dimmesdale’s health had been diminishing because of his guilt. He suffered both physically and mentally to obtain repentance and he died before he could truly experience God’s forgiveness in his life.
This book has really opened my eyes to human’s sinful nature, and how each person deals with the consequences of their sin. I plan to read the book again sometime in the future, and hopefully I can take even more life lessons from it.
Amy Heath
I would like to start this post out by stating that, despite the incessant wordiness in The Scarlet Letter, I enjoyed the novel very much. In reading it, however, I fear that I did not do my absolute best to sniff out the “sweet moral blossom” that our dear friend Mr. Hawthorne tried to set before us. Nevertheless, I did pick up on a breeze or two that carried the blossom's aroma.
ReplyDeleteLet's look at Hester Prynne for a moment.
Hester committed adultery in her intimate affair with Dimmesdale. This act was her sin. She was given a scarlet letter to wear upon her chest for as long as she lived in Boston – a mark she wore proudly, in my opinion. I think Hester served her sentence very well and ultimately redeemed herself through her acts of kindness and her absolute hope for the future. Hester never once ran from her ignominy, but rather embraced it and found means of living in constant repentance. One might argue, however, that Hester was running from her punishment when she convinced Dimmesdale to sail to England with her and their daughter, but I beg to differ! Had Hester not been punished enough already? She had lived for years wearing the scarlet letter and, furthermore, trying to raise the very child who was a living reminder of her original sin. I do not see Hester's desire to live with Pearl and Dimmesdale in England as an escape from punishment at all, for I believe that Hester's punishment had long been paid in full. I think, rather, that Hester wanted nothing more than to live happily with her family in an environment unfamiliar of them, and thus unaware of the scarlet letter. Hester only wanted a fresh start at a pleasant life.
Honestly, if Hester and Dimmesdale decided suddenly to be a family with Pearl in Boston, would that have gone well? That's what I thought.
And what about Chillingworth? What did he do? His sin was his vengeful spirit. He hated Dimmesdale for having slept with Hester, and he hated Hester for having slept with another man! But because Hester was his wife, he pinpointed his hatred on Dimmesdale specifically. He sought to expose him for the sinner he truly was. His spite ate away at his sanity and became the only thing he had to live for, so when Dimmesdale revealed the truth to everyone in Boston in the midst of his dying hour, the very source of Chillingworth's life was lost and he soon afterward passed away as well. Did Chillingworth ever experience repentance? I do not think so. His life was consumed by revenge and he never saw things otherwise. He said, “Thou hast escaped me!” more than once after Dimmesdale disclosed his secret upon the scaffold where Hester had first stood in public shame.
Now I will discuss Arthur Dimmesdale. I actually feel quite sorry for this man throughout the book. He slept with Hester and lived in silent, internal torment during most of the story! For any number of reasons, the minister chose to keep his shame a secret, never revealing it to any soul until the end of the novel, when he stands in front of the people of Boston and exposes his very own “scarlet letter.” After he sinned, I don't think that he ever forgave himself. And if he did, it was too late because his shame was so great that (I believe) it caused his death in the end. Dimmesdale carried the weight of his shame rather than his sin upon his shoulders. And in his ignominy, he would sit “in his closet, wielding the bloody scourge.” So he decided that beating himself was the best way to deal with his shame, rather than forgiving himself and simply coming clean with God. I don't even think he needed to tell everyone in Boston about his sin. Coming clean with at least himself and one other person would have been fine, but he didn't, so he died. His shame was so great that he could not bear it, which is sad. Dimmesdale brought it all upon himself because he could not see that he could simply forgive himself.
The main themes in The Scarlet Letter that I found most evident were about sin, redemption, and judgment.
ReplyDeleteThe theme, sin, is a highly prominent theme throughout the book. Hester Prynne is convicted of her sin and made a public spectacle because of it. She is convicted of adultery, and sentenced to “stand only a space of three hours on the platform of the pillory, and then and thereafter, for the remainder of her natural life, to wear a mark of shame upon her bosom.” Hester Prynne is tormented by the regret of her sin. The mark she wears weighs down her heart. Also, Dimmesdale, who also committed this sin, yet was not publicly scorned for it, is tortured by his guilt. The regret he feels over his sin troubles him so greatly to the point where he becomes physically ill. In this society, it is practiced that sin remains on one’s heart. This theme has made me think about how God forgives our sin, so we are made clean. I believe that we have been freed from our past, and because of Christ, we are not held down by our sin. Also, if we try to hide our sin, such as Dimmesdale did, it eats us up inside. Because of his position in the church, he felt that he couldn’t let anyone know he committed such a sin, which is something many people feel today.
Though it takes a long time, Hester comes to the realization that she is redeemed. Her story of her struggle with redemption really stuck out to me, because sometimes we don’t realize that people really struggle with this. There are people who feel as if there is no hope for them at all. Both Hester and Dimmesdale felt like this at some point. Dimmesdale asks, “What can a ruined soul, like mine, effect towards the redemption of other souls?” He believes that his soul is gone, and that he is unable to help others because of it.
Another theme evident throughout this book is the theme of judgment. The Puritan Society heavily judges Hester Prynne because of her actions. Because of her actions, many of the people in the crowd believe “they should have put the brand of a hot iron on Hester Prynne’s forehead” or some other punishment as worse as death done to her. This sort of judgment is still present in today’s world. People are so quick to judge other’s actions, with very little understanding behind these thoughts.
Though I did not agree with the book one-hundred percent, I believe that it has an overall good message towards these ideals. I believe that we should not be so quick to judge, and that we should not let regret of our past sins take control of our lives, because we have been forgiven.
I did not particularly enjoy The Scarlet Letter, but it was a good story with some good themes. One major theme was forgiveness. The characters struggled to forgive themselves and each other. The Reverend was never able to forgive himself, even after his confession, because he felt like a hypocrite. Chillingworth could never forgive Dimmesdale, and tried to take revenge throughout the whole story. Hester was able to forgive herself and Dimmesdale, but she never forgave Chillingworth.
ReplyDeleteChillingworth and Dimmesdale were locked in an unsaid conflict throughout the whole story. This was majorly due to Chillingworth’s seeking revenge on Dimmesdale. Catherine Ponder said, “When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.” This concept can be seen with Chillingworth. He was able to follow the Reverend everywhere because he would not forgive him and wanted revenge. In fact, Chlllingworth said that the only place he cannot follow the minister is onto the scaffold. Chillingworth even told the minister this, saying, “There was no place so secret, high or low, where you could have escaped me—except on this very platform!” By showing these characters’ struggle for forgiveness, particularly Chillingworth and Dimmesdale, Hawthorne is trying to tell us that forgiveness is not always easy. It may take several years for us to forgive someone, even ourselves.
I did not like this book’s perspective on sin and forgiveness. I think that Hester’s punishment for her sin is outrageous. Granted, it was a different time, but I do not see how this punishment is at all Biblical. God wouldn’t remind everyone of your sin on a daily basis, he would just forget about it. I also hate that Dimmesdale thinks that there is no way he can go to Heaven. He did repent, and that is what God wants. He wants us to ask for forgiveness, which he is ready to supply. The Puritan society in the book seems to neglect this. It is sad to me that they were not able to see and practice forgiveness.
I forgot to do the blog! And then it wouldn't let me post anything. So I'm even more late!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this book, and got a lot out of it as well. Probably the theme that stood out the most to me was forgiveness. Chillingworth held a grudge against Dimmesdale, when he could have just forgiven him and went on. If one holds a grudge, it just feeds the anger in one's heart. As time went on and Chillingworth continued to hold a grudge against Dimmesdale, his anger grew immensely. The anger in his heart had to fight with happiness, and anger definitely won. In Chapter 9: The Leech, this is adequately described: ". . . likewise a new purpose; dark, it is true, if not guilty, but of force enough to engage the full strength of his faculties." In the end, the only thing keeping Chillingworth alive is the fact that Dimmesdale is alive. Chillingworth literally lives to take revenge on Dimmesdale.
Another theme in The Scarlet Letter is the level of strength that one can achieve in times of hardship. Hester was put into public shame, and could really have left whenever she wanted to. But, she felt as if it was her duty to stay out her "sentence." Even though she could get rid of the shame, she knowingly allows sin into her life. When Hester talks to Chillingworth, Chillingworth brings up the thought that the magistrate could take the symbol away and let her be. Hester refuses and says: “Were I worthy to be quit of it, it would fall away of its own nature, or be transformed into something that should speak a different purport." This shows her determination to take full blame for what she did. This is also shown when she does not reveal the identity of Pearl's father. I think that it is very admirable of Hester to feel this way, to take full responsibility for her actions. There are not that many people who would do that today!
I think that people in the book were in so much pain that they were radical in their actions. Dimmesdale was in a turmoil of guilt and so it festered inside his soul eating away at it until he could bear it no more. Chillingworth 's revenge on Dimesdale shows another way of putting your whole life into something and then becomeing some thing that is unwholesome to God. After Dimesdale died we see Chillingworth lose the source of his revenge which has become his very source of living. So after Dimesdale's death Chillingworth has nothing to live for and so he dies.Hester goes back to England and I think the reason why she did this was in honor of Dimesdale. The thing I got out of this book is that even though someone messes up we still need to forgive them even though they may not ask for it.I also like watching the movie because it gave me visual idea of what took place and now when I read the book I can remember what it looked like in the movie. Overall I think that the book was a very romantic sweet smelling rose that we all got to read and enjoy.
ReplyDeleteDear Mr. Hidrich Im sorry that I did not e-mail you sooner but the reason why my blog was late is that I have a timed limit on my computer for internet access. I was working on my blog Thursday night and was ready to post it up on the blog response, but the filter will stop all internet access after eleven,o,clock.So I tried to post it up and it shut down the internet on me. I told myself that I would do it Friday and I did but I completely forgot to e-mail you and tell you what happened till now four days later which I know is immature of me. My parents are angry with me which I can understand because it was a stupid, inconsiderate, and disrespectful thing to do. I should care about what you and Mrs. Gillbreth are doing for us kids. I accept the consequences of a late grade and thank you for helping me and the rest of the junior class understand English literature by the blog.
ReplyDeleteTimothy Tucker