Thursday, February 25, 2010

I would prefer not to. Unless it's a blog response...

How would you deal with someone like Bartleby?

15 comments:

  1. Q: How would you deal with someone like Bartleby?

    Bartleby is a very interesting and strange character indeed. When the narrator hired him as a scrivener, he seemed like a hard working quiet guy. The narrator had no idea he was going to be working with a possible lunatic. The narrator thought well of Bartleby in the beginning because Bartleby quietly did his work without complaint. He soon learned that Bartleby would refuse to do certain tasks such as reviewing copies of documents with the narrator. When the narrator said, "Bartleby, would you come here and read these copies with me?", Bartleby would respond with his infamous phrase, "I prefer not to." This phrase were the few words Bartleby would say to the narrator and other people who tried conversing with him.

    The narrator dealt with Bartleby in a very kind manner in the beginning. He respected Bartleby and his hard work. When Bartleby began to less and less work and then eventually refused to do any at all, the narrator became frustrated. The narrator
    told Bartleby to leave and he gave him a pay check and a six day notice to leave the office, which Bartleby had made as his home. Bartleby refused to leave though. He stood in the corner of the office hidden by a screen or in the middle of the room. Eventually, the narrator took pity on Bartleby and offeered him a place in his own house so he could find other work. Bartleby simply replied, "I prefer not to change, but I'm not particular."

    I think if I were in narrators situation, I would have dealt with Bartleby a little differently. I would give him a chance to talk, but if he refused to tell me anything or be social at all I would try to find some help for him. I would not just send the poor guy to a prison to live out the rest of his life, even if he would not mind that. I would find him a counselor or a mental hospital where professionals could properly help him and find out why he was so quiet.

    -Drew Martinez-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q: How would you deal with someone like Bartleby?

    In Melville’s story, the narrator hires Bartleby as a scrivener firmly believing that he will be an excellent employee. Like other workers, the narrator thinks that Bartleby will do as he is old and be respectful to his employer by doing what he is told. However promising Bartleby seemed at first, the narrator quickly realizes that Bartleby is not what he had expected at all. The narrator, by this time being very confused and somewhat shocked, inquires, "Bartleby, would you come here and read these copies with me?” Bartleby then replies with his infamous phrase, "I prefer not to." Throughout Melville’s story, Bartleby continually repeats this statement or says nothing whenever the narrator asks him a question or requests something.

    Bartleby is personified as a very annoying, yet, strange character. Melville created this personality to make the reader begin to ask questions and to keep them wholly intrigued throughout the story. At the beginning of the story, the narrator treats Bartleby in a respectfully concerned sort of way. The deeper into the story that the reader goes, the personality of Bartleby begins to be seen. The narrator soon becomes very frustrated and plots numerous ways to get Bartleby to leave him. The narrator attempts to give a very large paycheck and a six day notice to leave to Bartleby, hoping that he will take what was given to him and leave. This, too, was unsuccessful. The narrator then feels so badly and troubled for Bartleby that he offers to take him into his own home and help him get back on his feet and figure out what is wrong with him. Of course, being Bartleby, he reacts by saying, "I prefer not to change, but I'm not particular." The narrator even takes Bartleby to a friend’s house, which the narrator believes may be able to assist Bartleby. The narrator states, “Bartleby, this is a friend; you will find him very useful to you.” The story ends with the narrator finding Bartleby sleeping in a yard, nature thriving all around him. The narrator then murmurs in surprise, “’With the kings and counselors.” I murmured’.”

    If Bartleby was a friend of mine, or someone whom I had employed, I would have handled the situation similarly to how the narrator of the story did. At first, I would probably be concerned and confused, but as the real Bartleby came out, I would become very frustrated. I would not appreciate my worker to tell me what he would and would not do and treat me, his employer, with such disrespect. I would intend on handling the situation such as the narrator did. First, ask him to leave; then, offer some sort of bribe; then, eventually, consult a doctor or psychologist who could help dear Bartleby. I believe that I would have handled the matter such as the narrator in Melville’s story did. “Ah, Bartleby! Ah, humanity!”

    Kristina Kiser

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was slightly bewildered when I first read this post, because we are not studying Julius Caesar at the present time. I will answer the question pertaining to the piece of literature which we have just studied, and hope that I wasn’t really supposed to go dig out my Sophomore English binder and review Julius Caesar…

    I am not sure how I would deal with someone like Bartleby! It must be very frustrating for someone’s replies to always be “I would prefer not to.” I am sure, however, that everyone can be like the character of Bartleby at times. I am reminded of children who tell their parents “No,” when they don’t want to do what they are told. Bartleby basically has the same attitude. He just defies his authority in a more peaceful and almost respectful way.

    I think the most frustrating part of dealing with Bartleby for me would be when he refuses to leave the office building, even after the narrator has left. Bartleby’s responses to the narrators repeated job offers are just downright annoying. “I like to be stationary, but I am not particular,” he says. This is so annoying because if he is not particular, then he would accept one of the offers.

    To ultimately answer the question, I am fairly certain that if I were put in a situation with a “Bartleby,” then I would probably deal with the individual as gently and kindly as possible. However, I cannot know for certain how I would react until I was put in the situation. I have had to deal with incompetent and sometimes stupid people when I work at Cajun Cones. Even when they are wrong, I try to solve the problem as politely as possible. (If there is one thing I have learned from Cajun Cones, it is that the customer is NEVER right, but you must let them believe that they are.) I truly feel sorry for Both Bartleby and the Narrator. Bartleby obviously has some sort of serious problem, whether it was a mental disorder or something that happened in his past, and this is extremely sad. I also feel sorry for the Narrator because he had to deal with Bartleby and he never found out what was wrong with him. His closing statement was especially saddening. “Oh Bartleby! Oh Humanity!” I was sad that Bartleby died, especially because we never found out what was wrong with him.

    ~Brantly~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would deal with a person like Bartleby differently depending on if he was my friend or not. If he was my friend I would continue to support him. I would also ask him everyday if he wanted to live with me instead of at the office building. I would also bring food in for him everyday to make sure he did not o hungry.
    If he was not my friend he would annoy the crap out of me. I would not of tollerated him not listening to me and not doing any kind of work for me. I would if fired him pretty quickly; and if he refused to leave I would pretty much kick him out. I would give him some money to get started with, but he would be gone.
    Trey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Q: How would you deal with someone like Bartleby?

    A:
    In Melville's short story "Bartleby," a lawyer has some unusual problems with his newly hired employee and tries to deal with these problems accordingly. His employee, Bartleby, starts out as a great worker, dilligent, submissive, and efficient. As time goes on, Bartleby becomes increasingly difficult but on a monotone scale. He never raises his voice or makes a violent gesture. He ultimately refues to do anything that the laywer asks of him and refuses to do any part of his job or any thing conserning anything. He repeatedly answers "I would perfer not to." He lives in the office, sleeps in the office, and eats in the office. Twice during the course of this story, the lawyer is told to go walk around the block because Bartleby answers the door and tells him he's occupied and needs for the lawyer to come back to his [the lawyer's] office in a little while.

    It's almost as if Bartleby is in a trance and has succumbed to having a monotone existance. Towards the end of the story, the lawyer, who is the narrator, discovers that Bartleby had been a clerk and his job was to write death letters. Death letters were like today's death certificates. Writing those would take a great toll on one if one is surrounded by death all the time. Some believe that Bartleby was mentally derranged but I believe that that could possibly be the case or that he was just desensitized due to his previous job. He became so desensititzed that all of his emotions abandoned him and he was content to just BE for the rest of his life.

    If someone like Bartleby were to appear and stay in my life it would depend on a few things on how I would treat them. First of all, if they were family I would bring them into my home to take care of them. Second, I would need to know the problem with them and the why behind it. I would also need to know how bad the sad problem was. I would treat them with kindness and politeness and compassion. This story and situation is closely related to my family. One of my cousins is mentally ill, his name is Barry. He is well in his twenty's now and still lives at home. He has a twin sister named Carry but she is very health and sound in her mind. Barry is taken care of by his parents-my aunt and my uncle-and they do it with love. It may be very hard for them sometimes, but they continue to protect, love, teach, and just keep him company throuout his life. This is the way I would try and treat someone like Bartleby.

    Melville's short story "Bartleby" is closely related to "Thanatopsis" written by Bryant. They both speak of death. In "Thanatopsis," Bryant tries to convince the reader of the beauty and grace symbolized in death and uses some biblical references. In "Bartleby," Melville uses biblical references as well. In the end of the story when Bartleby dies, he tells the grub-man that he [Bartleby] has gone to sleep alongside the kings and counslers. This particular scripture is from Job. They both seem to believe that you will not be alone, even in death.

    I believe that Melville is trying to tell his readers that every man owes every man the kind, thoughtful compassion and love and respect that we would give people that we know and love. But those gifts are enjoyed by all. We must treat each other as we would like to be treated. And with no regrets.

    --mallory jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. How would you deal with someone like Bartleby?

    In Melville’s short story, a lawyer hires a man, Bartleby, as a scrivener. At first, Bartleby seems to be an excellent worker. He works diligently, putting in his best effort. His hard work pays off, and he greatly pleases the lawyer. One day, the lawyer asks Bartleby to help him copy a document. Bartleby politely responses with “I would prefer not to.” This answer astonishes the lawyer and he does not know how to retaliate, so he calls someone else to do the work. As the story progresses, “I would prefer not to” becomes a phrase commonly used by Bartleby. Instead of firing Bartleby, the lawyer shows compassion on the man, allowing him to continue working. Bartleby continually refuses to work, yet the lawyer still does nothing. Several days later, the lawyer learns that Bartleby is living in the building. After this, the lawyer realizes that Bartleby must be let go. When he finally fires Bartleby, he is shocked to hear Bartleby say that he does not want to quit. Thinking Bartleby will finally start working, the narrator gives him a second chance. Unfortunately, Bartleby still refuses to work. In the end, the lawyer decides to move, believing that Bartleby will be unable to follow. Luckily, the lawyer’s plan is somewhat successful. The lawyer moves into a new building, leaving Bartleby behind. After being in his new building for a few weeks, a man comes to visit him, asking him about Bartleby. The man tells the narrator that Bartleby sleeps outside his old office and scares away customers. The narrator is perplexed by this and goes to visit the man. The narrator tries to convince Bartleby to leave, but Bartleby’s response is “I would prefer not to.” Eventually, Bartleby is sent to prison and dies from starvation.

    If put in a situation like this, I think I would have fired Bartleby shortly after he decided to stop working. If I was the boss of a firm, like the narrator, I would expect people to do their job and give it their best. With today’s economy, it is often extremely hard to find jobs. Allowing someone who does not work and is disrespectful (in a sense) to continue working while others would do anything for a job seems inane. However, as Christians, I believe we would be required to help him. The Bible tells us to “Do unto others as you would have the do unto you,” which means we should treat others well if we wish to be treated well. I think I would find someone to help Bartleby in order to find out why he acts the way he does. Bartleby clearly has issues, and I think they need to be approached by someone who truly knows what he is doing. Allowing him to continue working would be pointless because Bartleby is not going to work until his mental issues are worked out. If I had known Bartleby before he started working, I think I would have a vastly different opinion on this topic. In the end, it really depends on how well I knew the guy. We've been taught the phrase "Stranger, danger!" since we were young children. As human beings, we naturally distrust anyone whom we do not know. Also, it's natural to have a protective nature over those close to us. Had I not known Bartleby, I would have been extremely annoyed by his antics and his refusal to do any work. If I had known him, I certainly would have been more compassionate and understanding. Ultimately, I think I would have tried to help him in any way possible regardless of how well I knew him. I am not sure, however, how long I would’ve allowed his behavior before I cracked.

    Amy Heath

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dealing with a man such as Bartleby would be difficult to say the least. If i hired him and then he stopped working, I would give him some leeway but I would soon fire him just as the narrator did. I would find his lack of cooperation disturbing and that coupled with his lack of actual labor would make me angry at him. If i saw him just sitting lazily around and doing nothing like a lethargic bum, I would be very angry at him, but since he acted clinically deranged, i would pity him and try to help him. After awhile though I would become annoyed and probably would have to make him leave.
    I do not think that I would be kind enough to leave the premises for his convenience like the narrator did :"If you do not go away from these premises before night, I shall feel bound--indeed I am bound--to-- to--to quit the premises myself!" I would not however have him thrown in jail. That was a foolish and over reactive idea. I think if I had to deal with him, and he did not eat, I would have him admitted to a mental clinic. Just as the narrator visited Bartleby in prison, I would visit Bartelby in the clinic. i would have done my best to detach Bartleby from my life and help him to start his own life,"Will you go home with me now--not to my office, but my dwelling--and remain there till we can conclude upon some convenient arrangement for you at our leisure?" All in all, this would be a terrible situation to be a part of, but I believe i would try to keep him out of trouble and try to help him start his own life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. im sorry there is supposed to be a space between the two paragraphs. "I do not think that i would be kind enough to leave..." this is the beginning of a new paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Bartleby. He is an interesting character, am I right? To answer the question, I have to say that I am not entirely sure as to how I would deal with Bartleby. Were I the lawyer who hired him, I would certainly have him fired for "preferring not to" do anything. I would also try to find some help for him. Not necessarily any "mental help," but rather some financial or physical help, such as food, a place to stay for a while, etc. I'd say I would handle the Bartleby situation not unlike the lawyer does.

    I am not, however, the lawyer. Due to that fact I am bound to state that I would not be able to fire Bartleby, nor would my path be likely to cross his. If I do ever happen upon a Bartleby in the future, I fear I cannot exactly say how I would deal with him or her. I would try my best to help my Bartleby and I would be as compassionate and patient as I could be. Every man owes another man kindness and understanding at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bartleby is a very interesting, mysterious character. I think that the lawyer in the story handled Bartleby in a very good manner; he was very patient with Bartleby. If I were put in the lawyer's position I am not exactly sure what I would do. I would like to say that I would be patient with and show compassion and sympathy towards Bartleby. I would like to be this way towards him because I do not know his story or his background and have no reason to be hateful towards him and "kick him out."
    If Bartleby was my employee and he was giving me these problems I think I would probably give him a very easy job that requires hardly any skill just as an excuse to keep him without being a free-loader. Because after all, it seemed like Bartleby only wanted a place to call his own, even if it was a small section of an office.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before deciding how to deal with a person like Bartleby, I must first try to understand what convicts him to act as he does. Difficult situations cannot be properly handled without first being probed for reason. However, finding a solution to such a situation as Bartleby’s is not as simple as it sounds.

    The lawyer was put in an uncomfortable situation once Bartley began disobeying his requests. He hires Bartleby with hardly a glance at a résumé, so he most likely does not hold Bartleby’s position in the law office to high standards from the start. Yet, when Bartleby first declines a request made of him, the lawyer does not immediately fire him. The lawyer has no apparent emotional attachment to him; however, something impedes his decision to rid his law office of the stubborn scrivener.

    After Bartleby repeatedly replies with, “I would prefer not to,” the lawyer has enough of it. He declares the termination of Bartleby’s employment at the law office and requests his departure. Nonetheless, Bartleby declines the lawyer’s request by once again stating, “I would prefer not to.” Throughout the rest of the story, the lawyer deals with Bartleby patiently and compassionately. He attempts bribing Bartleby but never uses any type of force. Ultimately, the lawyer moves his office and rids himself of the responsibility of the man’s presence. When the purchaser of the office space confronts the lawyer about the unwanted presence of Bartleby, the lawyer once again faces the burden of a man who he barely knows. He leaves the responsibility of managing the stubborn man to the office’s new owner, and the man has Bartleby taken to jail. The lawyer, once again feeling a sense of responsibility for Bartleby, visits him in jail and even bribes the “grub-man” to ensure his fair treatment in prison. To the very end, the lawyer treated Bartleby with kindness and compassion and never dealt with him aggressively. He has a very passive-aggressive approach in dealing with Bartleby, which may have ended up affecting him more negatively than it did Bartleby positively.

    Now that Bartleby’s story is better known, a more effective course of action can be taken. When dealing with such an abnormal character, I believe I would act somewhat more aggressively than the lawyer does. By being so passive in his dealings with Bartleby, he allows himself to grow attached to him, placing an unnecessary burden on himself. I would not accept a man who I know not much of to drive me out of my own building. I would resort to using other methods of bribery than money by asking what Bartleby desired or what it would take for him to vacate the premises. If that plan failed, I would then act alongside someone with true authority to support me in my requests, such as a police officer. I would absolutely desire as little conflict as possible; however, if Bartleby was disturbing my daily life and refusing to cooperate, he should expect to encounter conflict.

    Bartleby’s actions, or lack thereof, appear to be his own form of practicing unconformity. By refusing to do what was asked of him, he disturbs the fluid pattern existent in the law office and serves as a distraction to those attempting to work efficiently. He resembles a large boulder clogging a stream rather than a fish swimming against the current. He does not outwardly work against the patterns of life, yet he hampers with them in his own way. He defies the “social norm” of the work place to detriment of the law office’s success.

    That being said, I would not desire to have such a distraction in my own office. Rather than running from my quandary, I would attempt different assertive, yet not overly-aggressive, approaches at ridding my office of Bartleby. While doing this, however, I would ensure that he is not poorly treated as a result of my own action. For, as Melville explained in “Bartleby the Scrivener,” every man owes his fellow man benevolence and love.

    Gillian Chant

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dealing with someone like Bartleby would prove very difficult. At times, I have very little patience and lose my temper. Reading about Bartleby and his very stubborn attitude caused me to become irritated. Trying to deal with this kind of person requires a loving and patient attitude.
    Many people who act extremely strange and unreasonable, like Bartleby, have either had some trauma in their lives, were not raised by loving parents, or they possibly might even have some type of mental disorder. When I run across people who behave unmanageably, I try to remember this possibility. This keeps me from getting so irritated with them. I concur with the narrator of this story when he calms himself "simply by recalling the divine injunction: 'A new commandment give I unto you, that ye love one another.'" This statement rings very true. If God tells us to love one another no matter what, then this requires being kind to this person, even if he irritates you.
    Dealing with someone who irritates you requires much patience. Patience is hard to come by when the person you are conversing with "would prefer not to" do the simplest tasks, such as doing his job or leaving when fired. In order to keep my patience, I simply take a deep breath and think very carefully about doing or saying anything before I do so. Most times when I feel angry or aggravated, the feeling dies off and I realize that it was foolish to feel so. Dealing with a person like Bartleby is a difficult task, but with love and patience, one can tackle this task with confidence.
    -Katie May Hardegree

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bartleby is a person who's qualities could become extremely irritating to many people. I believe that his opposition to compliance would greatly irritate myself. However, his constant response of "I would prefer not to" would never cease to leave me baffled. Bartleby is a rather perplexing being. I believe that if I were his boss, I would make an attempt at scolding him when his refusals continued. However, I would find it very difficult to fire him. Once I found it within me to fire him, his refusal to leave would definitely be a problem. I would attempt to find him another job, and make sure he has a place to live, for I do not believe that simply because he is difficult he should be left homeless and unemployed.

    Dealing with someone as difficult as Bartleby would be a challenging task to be faced with. However, sometimes we are challenged by being placed with difficult people in our lives. So to know how one would deal with Bartleby, one can evaluate how they deal with people in their lives that they find to be difficult.

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  14. If some one like Bartleby came to me and applied for a job I would probably not hire him because of his nature. Even though he dressed nice, his attitude would tell me that he was a sad dismal person someone I would not want to be around.If I did hire him and he did all the stuff that he did to the scrivener, I would first give him a chance to correct himself. If he refused I would warn him, yet still he refused I would fire him. Then if he refused to leave the premisses I would call the authorities. I don't think people tolerate other people who decide that they can do just about whatever they want. Even reading the book I felt irritated at Bartleby. But maybe they have a family that they need to take care of? well then they should have obeyed a simple command and put their family's needs before their own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If Bartleby came to my business and I asked him to do a simple thing and he refused, I would do s the scrivener did and give him a chance. If he refused again, again I would give him another chance. then if he still even refused I would warn him. then after the warning I would fire him. If I came to my business and found him there and even having the gaul to refuse me entrance to my own business, I would then call the authorities.I don't think anybody likes a person who comes in to their own business and politicly takes over, I know I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete